Helping a Cat with Sensitive Skin
As any parent knows, one of life's simple pleasures is petting your favorite cat. Running a hand over a soft coat of thick, shiny fur feels good to you and your cat. Unfortunately, if your cat has poor skin health, that simple pleasure might not be so pleasant.
What can you do?
- Check for pests. Examine your cat's coat and skin thoroughly for the presence of ticks, fleas, mites, lice or other parasites. If you spot any, ask your veterinarian for advice and follow the appropriate treatment.
- Consider allergies. If your cat is pest-free and otherwise healthy, her discomfort may be caused by an allergic reaction to something in its environment, such as pollen, dust or mold. Allergic dermatitis is an inflammation of the skin that results in licking, scratching, loss of fur and dry, flaky skin. Learn more about allergic dermatitis.
- Talk to your vet. Skin conditions can have a wide range of causes - from parasites to allergies, from hormonal imbalances to bacterial infections, stress and more. Be sure to consult with your veterinarian about your cat's individual health and treatment options.
- Feed your cat well. Even if the cause of her skin condition is not related to nutrition, your cat may be helped with a high quality cat food formulated especially for skin sensitivity. Look for one containing high quality protein, essential fatty acids and antioxidants - all are important nutrients that can help heal and protect your cat's skin. You can find all those in Science Diet® Sensitive Stomach & Skin Adult cat food or Science Diet® Adult Grain Free cat food, made especially for adult cats with sensitive skin.
Signs of a problem:
- Dry, flaky skin
- Excessive scratching, especially at the head and neck
- Excessive shedding
- Hair loss, bald patches
Science Diet® Sensitive Stomach & Skin Adult:
- High levels of clinically proven antioxidants, including multi-vitamins C + E and beta carotene, support a strong immune system and protect it from cellular oxidation caused by free radicals
- Increased levels of omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids promotes healthy skin and a glossy coat
- Unique combination of high quality protein and essential amino acids provide key building blocks for healthy skin and a shiny coat
Learn more about Science Diet® Sensitive Stomach & Skin Adult.
Science Diet® Adult Grain Free Salmon:
- Natural sources of antioxidants from apples and cranberries plus Vitamins C + E support your cat's immune system on a cellular level
- Vital omega 6 and omega-3 fatty acids support healthy skin and a shiny coat
- Controlled levels of phosphorus help maintain healthy kidneys
Learn more about Science Diet® Adult Grain Free Salmon. Also available in a variety of Grain Free canned products.
Hjälpa din katt att gå ner i vikt: Tips om mat och motion
Har min katt torr hud? – Tips och råd
Hypertyreos hos katter: varningstecken, hantering och behandlingHypertyreos är en vanlig endokrin sjukdom som oftast diagnostiseras hos katter över 10 år gamla. Obehandlad hypertyreos kan få allvarliga, ibland dödliga, konsekvenser för vitala organ som hjärta och njurar. Den goda nyheten är att sjukdomen är i hög grad behandlingsbar och kan kontrolleras med rätt veterinärvård.